Project repository : The-Overall
Final project : The Over-all
Led by DELINTE Marie and HAUDRECHY Marie
Project: A waterproof overall to make yourself in Fablab, natural latex present in Kerala.
After the disaster of the flood, the inhabitants have to move for differents reasons (rescues, medicines) while the water is still at the level of the knees. This project, in a period of rescue, would allow the various people to have the possibility to help the others or the doctors to access the camps … etc
The idea came after all the pictures seen of these people trying to advance in the waters. Indeed, after a flood, the inhabitants have to move but they do not have an adapted dress for that. When they return to the camp, they find themselves with wet clothes. Having no time to dry them, due to humidity, it causes infections, different diseases (feet, body). The overall is intended to address a mobility and illness problem. But infections can also be done by cuts to the feet and so we are also working on a form of shoes / boots.
The stakes are necessary and inexpensive so that interventions are easier and everyone can intervene. The overall is made for everyone, man, woman, child. We started using tarpaulin. This form of tarpaulin is given by NGOs during natural disasters to families. It is perfectly waterproof and adaptable. There will be 3 differents patterns (standard) that can be cut on one and the same cover of 2m by 3m. Subsequently we have found a second more resistant and always waterproof material which is the natural latex (produced in large quantities in Kerala).
The tarpaulin would be cut with the laser cut in the fablabs where the bosses would be already at the disposal of the Indians. Regarding the manufacture of the latex suit, the fablab would allow the manufacture of the mold to the CNC. The idea is to have an average of 3 combinations per family.
Tarpaulin is given by NGOs, it has no cost, but it sells in India in a larger dimension, 6m by 4m, which costs 73 Indian Rupees, and which equals 91 cents. A tarpaulin a little thicker and therefore more resistance costs, 1 euro and 95 cents. As for latex, it is possible to buy directly from the crops. The liter costs 91-100 Indian Rupiah which is worth 1 euro and 25 cents.
Process : The Over-all
For starters, we sought to find the most affordable and waterproof material. After some research, we went on the tarpaulin. This is given by NGOs during natural disasters. For that we asked one expert. First of all, we contacted Mickeal for his field expertise. So we told him about the idea of the project and the use of the tarpaulin. He was very cheerful and told us to continue on this path with the tarpaulin.
We started to test this tarpaulin first by looking for a waterproofing system to make the overall:
We wanted to stick the tarpaulin with a glue gun. But this test was a failure:
Then, we did other tests: glue hot plates like a straightener or an iron. To do this we used parchment paper not to burn the tarpaulin directly, but to transmit the heat only. The test was very conclusive.
Following our observation of the Fabacademy and a discussion with an expert (Julie Taris), we wanted to try to stick the tarpaulin with the laser cut system. For this, different tests have been carried out, playing on the speed and the power (more or less strong), and perfecting it thanks to a herbarium system.
We chose to do our combination by sticking it thanks to the heat transfer system by straightener and iron. It was necessary to find out how much the laser cuts the tarpaulin without burning it. It cuts at a speed of 100 – and a power 10.
The size of the laser being only 120 by 80, we made the decision to separate the combination into two parts to be assembled. Then, we drew a first pattern. It was a little disproportionate, but it allowed us to see on a scale 1/1 how to assemble the patterns and the tightness of this overall.
Of course, it was possible to rectify this error and rework the boss. But thanks to it we could see where was the problem and improve the pattern that is now more realistic and more accurate. A second pattern is added the overall, the « sock » part.
We still wanted to know the price of these tarpaulins in India, so we did research on the different prices and we know that the price of a tarp like that of NGOs 70 grams cost 91 cents, for a thicker tarpaulin and more resistant the price is 1 euro 95 cents, which is affordable to have a more resistant combination with the same proceed. We also had a discussion with the fablabs of Kerala. Our main question was, « Did the people of Kerala received this tarpaulin? » and if so, « can they use it for anything but habitat? ». They were able to answered these questions and comforted us on the use of the tarpaulin. So the idea that this overall is inexpensive (see almost no) is feasible thanks to this tarpaulin.
Following this discussion with Kerala, we looked at other material that is natural latex. It is produced in the country, so it is inexpensive (1,25 euros the Liter) and much more resistant than the tarpaulin. To create this latex overall, you have to have the negative mold, that is to say the shape of the body in full. The first step was to draw this body in 3D to be able to cut it to the CNC.
But we wondered what materials could be used to make this human model. Knowing that the material used must be adapted to the machine but also that it is a good adhesion to latex and that it is easily removed even without the application of talc. We did two tests.
The wood, after 4 layers:
- Good adhesion easy to remove even without talc.
-Lack still a few layers for better resistance.
The foam, after 4 layers:
- Good adhesion to the materials.
Hard to remove. The material on which the latex is cast has imperfections so the latex gets into it and that create holes.